Competition & Track Day Cars
VHS Ltd puts ideas into practice with our MGTF competition car
Our MGTF 160 is a modified competition car tuned for sprint and hillclimb speed events. We use it to test our ideas and to put our expertise into practice. It is also great fun! When time allows, we compete in the MG Car Club Luffield Speed Championship - we hope to meet you at an event!
As can be seen from our results below, the car is delivering an outstanding performance. The engine is a completely standard TF160 item, so why is it so quick?
- Weight reduction to 875kg (without driver) improves power to weight ratio and agility.
- VHS Comfort Damper Kit provides better body control particularly during rapid direction changes, leading to a more consistent and exploitable handling balance.
- Bespoke wheel rates, suspension travels and roll stiffness distribution have been developed to suit the weight of the car and driver preference.
- VHS Big Rear Brake kit utilising the original calipers but operating on a bigger disc gives improved stopping power and fade resistance.
- New front axle geometry and wider track via new wishbones to improve handling, grip, braking stability and security at the limit.
- New front and rear wheels with revised offsets to suit the new axle geometry and to increase the rear track width.
- Bespoke aerodynamics give balanced down force at both front and rear axles to give consistent responses through the speed range – giving the driver confidence to maintain speed.
In summary, the car has very forgiving handling. As such, it is relatively easy to drive at the limit compared to most mid-engined cars, allowing the driver to make best use of the available horsepower
Competition and Track Day Car Analysis
Your car should be agile and responsive, yet with a high degree of stability to let you exploit its performance.
Let us help you to enjoy your driving by showing you how to make your car better.
Analysis, critique, advice, help………..all part of our service to you.
Contact us to discuss your requirements.
Results for 2008
|6th April||Curborough Sprint||1st in class, FTD and new MGCC record|
|3rd May||Ty Croes Race Circuit (Anglesey)||2nd in class|
|4th May||Ty Croes Race Circuit Anglesey)||1st in class|
|15th June||Silverstone Sprint||1st in class and FTD|
|12th July||Loton Park Hill Climb||1st in class, new class and MGCC records|
|19th July||Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb||1st in class and new MGCC record|
|30th August||Ty Croes Race Circuit (Anglesey)||1st in Class (but bent valves in practice!)|
|27th September||Prescott Hill Climb||Fastest MG and new class record|
In 2006, we entered the MG Car Club Speed Championship with the target of achieving a class win at each event. As shown below, we achieved just that!
|8th July||Loton Park Hill Climb||1st in Class|
|22nd July||Prescott Hillclimb||1st in Class|
|6th August||Curborough Sprint||New MG Car Club Record|
|2nd September||Ty Croes Race Circuit (Anglesey)||Fastest MG of the day|
|3rd September||Ty Croes Race Circuit (Anglesey)||Fastest MG of the day|
|16th September||Harewood Hillclimb||1st in Class|
|17th September||Cadwell Park||1st in Class|